Summer is the perfect time for outdoor gatherings (especially if you live in beautiful Bermuda), and what better way to celebrate the season than by hosting a summer soiree? It provides the perfect opportunity to hang out with friends and family in warm balmy weather, eat really delicious foods and open a bottle of chilled wine. Whether you’re planning a small gathering or a larger event, here are five tips to help you host the best summer soiree.
- SET THE TONE WITH THE PERFECT THEME
One of the best ways to create a memorable summer soiree is to choose a theme that sets the tone for the event. A beach party, luau, or garden party are all popular themes for summer gatherings, but don’t be afraid to get creative and come up with something innovative that speaks to your personal style. I am a big fan of garden chic. Once you’ve chosen your theme, make sure to carry it through all aspects of the event, from decorations to food and drinks.
2. CREATE A COMFORTABLE AND INVITING ATMOSPHERE
To ensure that your guests feel welcome and relaxed, it’s important to create a comfortable and inviting atmosphere. This begins when your guests arrive, so one should consider suitable parking arrangements and helpful sign postings if guests are unfamiliar with the location. In addition to, thoughtful decor choices, such as outdoor lighting, cozy seating areas, and ambient music. Make sure that there is plenty of seating available, both indoors and outdoors, so that guests can mingle and socialize.
3. PLAN A MENU THAT CATERS TO ALL TASTES
When it comes to hosting a summer soiree, the food and drinks you serve are just as important as the atmosphere you create. Plan a menu that caters to all tastes, including vegetarian and gluten-free options, and be sure to have plenty of refreshing beverages on hand to keep your guests cool and hydrated. Consider setting up a DIY cocktail station or a self-serve lemonade stand to add a fun and interactive element to the event. This will also allow you to enjoy hosting without acting as the bartender for the event.
Here are some summer soiree menu ideas to consider:
- Fresh fruit skewers with yogurt dip
- Caprese salad skewers
- Bruschetta with tomato, basil, and balsamic glaze
- Grilled vegetable platter with hummus dip
- Shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce
- Grilled chicken or shrimp skewers with a side of mixed greens
- Veggie or beef burgers with all the fixings
- Grilled fish tacos with avocado and tomato salsa
- BBQ pulled pork or chicken sliders
- Grilled vegetable kabobs with quinoa salad
- Grilled corn on the cob with herb butter
- Creamy coleslaw with carrots and cabbage
- Grilled sweet potato fries
- Mixed greens salad with strawberries, feta, and almonds
- Pasta salad with roasted vegetables and lemon vinaigrette
- Fresh fruit salad with honey and mint
- S’mores dip with graham crackers
- Grilled peaches with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce
- Mini strawberry shortcakes with whipped cream
- Lemon bars or mini tarts with raspberry jam
- Iced tea or lemonade with fresh herbs or fruit
- Sangria with fresh berries and citrus
- Watermelon or cucumber-infused water
- Margaritas or mojitos with fresh mint and lime
- Craft beer or wine from local vineyards or breweries
With these summer soiree menu ideas, you;re sure to create a delicious and memorable spread that everyone will enjoy! And, if you don’t feel like cooking, there are always great catering options available to keep things simple and mess free.
4. KEEP YOUR GUESTS ENTERTAINED
To ensure that your guests have a great time, it’s important to plan activities and entertainment that everyone can enjoy. Lawn games, such as cornhole and croquet, are always a hit, as are karaoke or a DIY photo booth. Consider hiring a local band or DJ to provide music, or create a playlist of upbeat summer tunes to keep the party going.
5. PLAN FOR SAFETY AND COMFORT
Finally, it’s important to plan for safety and comfort at your summer soiree. If you’re hosting the event outdoors, make sure to provide shade, such as a tent or umbrellas, to protect your guests from the sun. Provide insect repellent such as citronella candles and sunscreen, and consider setting up a first-aid kit in case of any accidents. If you plan on serving alcohol, make sure to have a designated driver or offer alternative transportation options for your guests.
Hosting a summer soiree can be a fun and rewarding experience, but it requires careful planning and attention to detail. By following these five tips, you can create a memorable event that your guests will be talking about for years to come. Remember to have fun, stay organized, and enjoy the company of your loved ones as you celebrate the season in style.
Liz Blankendal is the founder and creative director of the high end event planning and design company EETTAFEL based in Bermuda and available worldwide. Visit www.eettafelbermuda.com or email [email protected] to learn more!