You don’t need broth for this lentil soup recipe—it’s rich thanks to the browned bits in the bottom of the pan that meld into the soup, packing it with flavor. Ground coriander, from the seed of the cilantro plant, has a floral, citrusy flavor that dovetails nicely with the lemon.
1 cup dried brown lentils
8 cups water, divided
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
6 cups chopped collard greens
3/4 cups chopped fresh cilantro
1-pound small yellow potatoes, quartered
Juice of 1 lemon, plus wedges for serving
Prep: 40 m
Ready In: 1 h
- Pick through lentils, discarding any stones. Rinse.
- Combine the lentils in a small saucepan with 3 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, covered, until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and lightly caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes. Add garlic and coriander; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in collard greens and cilantro; cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens have wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of water and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, for 30 seconds. Add the lentils and their liquid, potatoes, lemon juice and the remaining 4 cups water and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Serving size: about 2 cups
Per serving: 296 calories; 10 g fat(1 g sat); 8 g fiber; 42 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 225 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 5,355 IU vitamin A; 38 mg vitamin C; 137 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 428 mg sodium; 765 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (107% daily value), Vitamin C (63% dv), Folate (56% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 fat, 1½ starch, 1½ vegetable, 1 lean protein
This recipe was originally published in the 2019 edition of the rg Health & Wellness supplement.