from Ava Pitt
From ancient times, we have always been about the serious business of enhancing what Nature gave us. In fact, the practice of beauty enhancement – and the equally stunning verse that it inspired – was evident over 6000 years ago, in Kemet (Egypt). So, as humans have done all over the world, from the dawning of civilisation until the present moment, I’ll gather what I know about this ancient art and pass it on to you.
- First off, beauty starts on the inside. Here, the adage “You are what you eat” applies. Bulk up on leafy greens, increase your water intake and reduce your consumption of sugar, dairy products and fried foods. Maintaining adequate hydration and consuming nutritious foods will translate into a glowing, pimple-free complexion.
- Gua Shais known as an all-natural Botox alternative. It involves using a piece of jade or quartz and oil on the face. The jade is gently pressed upward and outward. The result?Capillaries burst, stimulating oxygenated blood flow and metabolic cell repair. Gua Sha instantly lifts and plumps the skin, smoothing existing lines and reducing wrinkles.
- Rubbing ice on your face after cleansing constricts the pores and reduces excessive oil production. It’s also a great treatment for the dark or puffy area under the eyes, as the excess fluid that accumulates there is reabsorbed into the bloodstream.
- Manuka honey is a natural humectant that contains an enzyme that produces hydrogen peroxide. It also aids in wound care and tissue repair because of its antiseptic, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. It can be used to remove blemishes and dark marks or as a mask to restore your skin’s pH and moisture balance.
- Aloe is a miracle plant that soothes, moisturises and heals and can be used to treat various skin ailments. And it’s likely growing in your backyard!
- Chondrus Crispus, aka Irish Sea Moss, is a nutrient-dense food that is as beneficial externally as it is internally. Use the gel for the ultimate facemask, transforming yourself into the Divine beauty that you are.
- When it comes to beauty, one of Bermuda’s best-kept secrets is Omni Medical & Laser Clinic. Located on Point Finger Road, Omni Medical & Laser Clinic provides a host of services, including photo rejuvenation, microdermabrasion, wrinkle and scar reduction and laser hair removal. Stop by sample their treatments – their knowledgeable and friendly staff will not disappoint!
[bio] Ava Pitt is a self-taught beauty and fashion maven.
Connect with Ava @Avarougie